Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Week 1 Storytelling: From men to metal

There was once a group of people that met in a bar while discussing economical problems. The group of men were all from different backgrounds all with different views of how the country should be led. The first man declared he was in the top one percent of the social standings and focused his goals for the economy on global marketing and branching out to other countries for cheaper labor and supplies. This man declared he was like gold in society. The second man was a wealthy CEO of a small company. This man was fairly well off but not near as wealthy as the first man. His views were helping the very poor and disabled but letting the working class fend for themselves. He declared he was like silver in society. The third man considered himself in the middle class. He was an everyday working man that had a family at home. His views on society were that the very wealthy should give a generous donation to be spread among the very poor and disabled and to give more jobs to the poor to increase the middle working class. This man considered himself bronze of society. The fourth man was a humble man that made enough for himself and his wife while giving any extra he had to the poor and disabled. This man seemed to be the happiest and most content person with his life and how he was living. While he considered himself a more precious metal, society considered him as low as lead. The fifth man did not care about social issues and had no job while not having a plan to get one. This man took any free hand out he could find in life but did not contribute to the benefit of society. This man wasn't even considered a metal because he was useless. This man was called a monkey.



Author's Note:

This story is based from the nursery rhyme "I Am A Gold Lock"

I AM a gold lock.
I am a gold key.
I am a silver lock.
I am a silver key.
I am a brass lock.
I am a brass key.
I am a lead lock.
I am a lead key.
I am a monk lock.
I am a monk key!

Author: Unknown Editor: Andrew Lang Year Published: 2008 Web Source: The Project Gutenberg

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you worded your story to fit this rhyme. I would have never thought of a story like yours when looking at this rhyme! I like how you went down the social classes and explained the reasoning behind the type of metals. I really found it interesting how the humble man who was honestly the best character was looked at by society as less than the rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tylor,
    You took a very short poem and made a creative and engaging story about societal issues. The picture you chose for the "monkey" is so perfect, since he's supposed to be a freeloader and contribute nothing. You had a very interesting take on what is valued in life and in society. I look forward to reading more of your posts this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tylor, it is awesome how you made an entire story out of that short poem. I was taken my surprise when I saw that it was a tiny poem rather than a long myth. My favorite is the 4th man. I like the way you described the last man. It's crazy how this just flows and fits so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting story. It almost has the set up of a 'three guys walk into a bar' joke but with a way more impactful moral. Good job on that. I also like when little stories are expanded into whole new things like with your story. I wanted a kind of conclusion with the top three or four men. It seems I liked silver bronze and the precious most while disliking the two polar extremes. Good story, made me ponder.

    ReplyDelete