Monday, September 14, 2015

Possible Styles for Storytelling

Topic: The topic for my storybook will probably be lessons learned through Native American storytelling. I know I can find many stories with endless amounts of resources to the actual meanings of each story. My goal is to find different stories about atlas four different lessons to be learned through the stories by Native Americans. Finding the perfect stories to use and the specific styles will be my biggest challenge that I have throughout writing this storybook. On book I would like to use is How the Summer Came and The Origin of the Tides

Bibliography: 
1. The Origin of the Tides, from Myths and Legends of Alaska, edited by Katharine Berry Judson (1911)
2. How the Summer Came, from American Indian Fairy Tales, by W.T. Larned (1921)

Possible Styles:

Animals as Storytellers: I think it would be quite easy to write these stories as an animal because most of them are either in an animals perspective or it is a story about a specific animal. Telling the story from a different viewpoint would give me opportunity to give different aspects to the story to make it more creative. It would allow me to choose different animals that would have different outlooks on different stories to tell their side of the story.

First Person: First person would be an interesting style to use beaus most Native American stories are in the third person story telling style. Also telling the story from a different view point would give an interesting new view on the story and give me room to play with different details of the story and its meaning.

Third Person: This would be an interesting style to use for the same reason as the first person. Most Native American stories are originally written in the third person storytelling style because they were passed down by word of mouth in a third person sense of style. I could use this style by writing from an all knowing third person storyteller or by a third person that is looking in on the situation but is telling the story as the way they saw it.

Legal Argument: I think it would be interesting to rewrite these stories in a setting as if there were two people arguing against one another for legal reasoning to figure out an outcome and to present their case for the happenings. This style would allow me to create a story with new details while allowing me to give two sides to the story and letting me portray what should have happened vicariously through the "judge's decision". By doing this I would be combining the first and third person style of storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment