Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Storytelling for Week 6: The Great Build

Hello. My name is Phil and I am what most humans call a leopard. One day I had a great idea that my son and I needed a new house. I knew of the perfect place to start a clearing and begin building my house. By the time that I traveled to the location, the lot had already been cleared and minor work had been done to start the groundwork for the house. It had look to me as if it had been abandoned for quite some time so I decided to start working from where the previous wok was left off. After a long evening of working on the house I had returned home to sleep.

The next day I came to work on my house but to my astonishment it had been completed further than I had remembered. I thought to my self that I had finished that much work but I must have just not remembered from being so tired. Because of the lack of light in the late evening I must've not remembered what it had looked like. I continued to do some of the work and had to redo some of the work. Some of the construction wasn't built the way I would have built it so some of the structure had to be torn down and rebuilt. A few weeks of this went on and I finally finished my house.

On move in day my son and I gathered up all of our stuff and moved everything to our new house. Upon arriving at our new house we saw a ram and his child approach the house. I had thought they were there to greet us into our new house. When we approached the ram and his son, they began to unload a few things and asked us what we thought of their new house. With great confusion I asked "What in the world do you mean? This is our house that I have built for months". He seemed to be very confused and told me the exact same thing! Very confused we realized the work that seemed to be done when the other wasn't around was actually being done by one another. After a few minutes of laughing and coming to a conclusion we decided that we had built the house big enough that all four of us would be able to live together.

After a few months of us living together we were still getting along very well but I became very curious about how the ram was killing his prey to get meat because he had no claws or sharp teeth to kill with. I asked my son, "the next day when we go out to get food as the ram's son how his father kills his prey". After returning from my daily hunt I asked my son if had acquired the answer that I asked of him. He proceeded to show me how the ram would back up before killing his prey and share at them with his horns. I told my son that whenever he sees a ram back up that he must be getting ready to kill.

One evening I was preparing for dinner like I do every evening. I called for my friend and his son to come join my son and I for dinner. When they were approaching the dinner table the ram slipped on the muddy ground and started backing up. I told my son to run for the ram was about to attempt to kill us. Ever since then the ram has lived in the house while we have lived in the forest.




Author's Note

The original story is "The Leopard and the Ram". The story is the exact same except the original is told in the third person style instead of first person. I enjoy writing stories in the first person sense because it seems to give the character whose telling the story more of a personal sense instead of just a character without thought. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tylor! I enjoyed reading you story. I haven't read the original, but I liked that yours was told in first person. It helped me better understand the main character. The picture you used also gave a good visual for the main character. In the future, I would try to break your paragraphs into smaller section to make for easier reading. I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Tylor.

    I think this was a great story to retell in the first-person. It added a little bit more depth to an otherwise almost too simple story. I think it’s so interesting that the leopard didn’t just kill the ram. I would also love to know whether the ram was actually intending to kill the leopard and his son, or whether the leopard just jumped to conclusions. Your author’s note was also really helpful. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of first-person point of views when reading stories. I like having a strong understanding of the character throughout a story. I hope the ram wasn't actually trying to kill the leopard and his son! (I am a HUGE fan of big cats... or any animal actually...) Your picture for the story made me smile! Good choice!

    Thank you for your feedback regarding my author's note. You did a good job on explaining the original story more. I will have to work on that! I look forward to reading more of your work this semester!

    ReplyDelete