Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Week 4: Storytelling

Hello. My name is Anpu. I live in a grand house with my brother Bata. I have raised Bata as if he were my own and now he works for me and takes care of me and my wife daily. We have a stable life where as in I go to leave my home to go to work daily while by brother stays at home to work the oxen and work the ground. My wife stays at home daily to care for the house and relax.

One day I went to work like any other day but when I returned home something wasn't right. The house was dark and I could not hear my wife welcoming me home. I walked around the house looking for my wife to find her lying on the ground. She was worn and acted as if someone had attacked her or had done her wrong. I continued to ask her what had happened. She proceeded to tell me that My brother had attacked her and fled to tend the oxen. With fury I went to sharpen my dagger and set out to the barn to wait on my brother's return home so that I might kill him in surprise.

While sitting behind the barn door waiting for his return home, I heard him enter the barn and two of the oxen spoke to him warning him of my ill wishing upon him and that I wish to kill him. Bata ran hastily out of the barn, dropping the milk he had collected. After running a great distance Bata prayed to the god to stop me from chasing him so that he may converse with me to understand what my rage was about.

A great river was brought to us swarmed with crocodiles so that I would not cross it. I explained to Bata why I was so enraged by telling him that my wife told me Bata had attacked her and continued to tell her that he had been treated badly and that he wished them harm and continued to harm the wife. Bata explained to Anpu that is not what had happened that Anpu's wife approached Bata wishing Bata to come onto her because she admired his great strength but Bata denied her and told her to never speak of this for Anpu was like a brother to him. I forgave my brother and asked for him to return home but he refused saying he must now leave. I returned home with so much rage for my wife that I killed her where she sat and wept for the loss of my brother.
A dagger such as the one used in the story


Author's Note

This story is strongly based off of The Two Brothers: Part One. I chose to write this story as if it were being told by Anpu instead of third person. I wanted to give a deeper feeling of the way Anpu was effected by the events that took place in the original story.

Bibliography

The Two Brothers: Part One by Donald Mackenzi, from Egyptian Myth and Legend (1907). Web Source: UnTextbook

2 comments:

  1. I was just noting in my readings this week that there is so much revenge and violence in basically every one of these units. I am so glad that these stories are not about my life, because that is just so extremely harsh. It was interesting to tell the story from the perspective of the brother who was not part of the main action. I think that it made it his rage very relatable, although I hope that I would not have the same reaction in a similar situation. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This story was so vengeful. I do like how you told it from Anpu’s point of view. It gave his actions more meaning. You learned the emotion behind his actions. It’s crazy that the wife lied like that because she wanted her husband to go off in a rage and kill the brother before he told the husband what she had done. It’s sad to hear that the brother was just going to keep it quiet so as to not ruin his brother’s life. The ending of this story is so sad because he kills his wife and loses his brother! Great job!

    ReplyDelete