Thursday, October 22, 2015

Storytelling: Small and Swift

Hello, My name is Phil and I am known as a hummingbird to most people. From day to day I live my life as perhaps the smallest of the birds. People like to poke fun at me for being so small. Because I am to small I am about to move very quickly. I move so fast that no animal can keeps their eyes on me long enough to track where I am going.

There is one tobacco plant that is shared between all animals. One day the plant was stolen. Each of the biggest strongest animals tried to go and retrieve the plant but were killed one by one. Finally when all hope was lost I went to the other animals and told them I would try to get the plant back for them. I was laughed at for being so small. At first I wasn't even been considered for the job but I kept asking and kept asking until I was given a test. A plant was place in the middle of a field and I was told to retrieve it without being noticed. With all of the animals watching, I flew quickly to the plant and grabbed a few leaves and seeds. The other animals had thought I had ran from being too scared and never saw me actually from to the plant. When I returned with the leaves I was given the job.

On the morning of the great journey I woke up and ate my usual breakfast like I do every other day. On my way to the meeting place for my great journey I thought about my trip I am about to take and what might happen if I were to be killed. When I reached the start all of the other animals were wishing me luck and hoping to see me soon.

When I left it was just a straight easy flight. Once I reached the island of the dreaded monster I had to be very quiet and work quickly. I flew right over the monster and he never even noticed anyone was near. I found the tobacco plant and grabbed as many leaves and seeds as I could handle to carry. I quickly flew back to the other animals with the leaves and seeds. The animals threw me a huge party for saving their tobacco plant and have not looked down on me for being so small ever since.


Author's Note:

This story is based off of the story "How They Brought Back the Tobacco". I chose to write this story in first person instead of the third person storytelling style. The picture I chose is a hummingbird as in the one like the main character of the story.

Bibliography:

"How They Brought Back the Tobacco" by James Mooney, from Cherokee Myths (1900). Web Source: UNtextbook.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tylor! I think it is so cool that you started out as the hummingbird named Phil introducing himself and us getting to get inside his head even though he is a bird! I love the concept of the hummingbird being an underdog it made me want to read on so that I could root for him! Great story Tylor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tylor,

    As Ann-Marie had stated great start! I immediately felt like I was having a conversation with this hummingbird. I felt like I could kind of relate to this hummingbird. Many times individuals are judged on their physique and not on what they can really offer. I am so glad that at the end the hummingbird was the hero in the story. That is great for him!
    Great job on your story.

    ReplyDelete